Applications have been invited from suitably qualified candidates to apply for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship Program 2023.
WAAW Foundation Scholarship Program aims to support undergraduate African Female Students studying any Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) related course at any African university.
The scholarship offers $500 for need-based undergraduate female African students admitted to a University, College, or institute of higher learning in Africa.
About WAAW Foundation
WAAW Foundation was founded in 2007 by Dr. Unoma Okorafor while she was a Ph.D. student, in response to a burning desire to see more women of African descent healthy, educated, and inspired to participate in home and community building. As a lonely African female voice in Technology, Unoma set out to create sustainable, long-lasting ways to support and educate African women in technology innovation.
WAAW Foundation recognizes that Female Education and Science and Technology Innovation are the two most crucial components of poverty alleviation and rapid development in Africa. The plight of African woman against prejudices and huge societal disadvantages in often male-dominated communities is still vastly unexposed and requires a strong and compassionate voice.
The foundation believes that the woman is the pivot of the family and the family is the pivot of the community. Empowering an African woman is a gift that keeps on giving.
WAAW Foundation Scholarship Summary
- Host: WAAW Foundation
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: 250,000 Naira
- Deadline: November 12, 2022
Accepted courses for WAAW Foundation Scholarship are Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)-related courses at any African university. Note that there are NO EXCEPTIONS to the courses listed.
- a. All fields of Engineering
- b. All computer science
- c. Science & Mathematics related fields; Industrial chemistry, environmental sciences
- d. Medical courses; Pharmacy / Biomedical, Biochemistry, Zoology
- e. Agriculture, Geography, Statistics, etc.
a. CORE MEDICAL COURSE like Medicine and Surgery, Nursing etc.
b. Social Science courses
c. Art courses.
You need to fit all the criteria below to apply for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship;
- Female students of African origin living in Africa
- Between the ages of 16-32
- Confirmed admission to a higher institution in Africa studying undergraduate degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) field.
- Can demonstrate financial need for the scholarship
- Excellent academic record
- Volunteering and community service.
Special consideration is given to underprivileged students such as orphans, girls impacted by HIV.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- $500 for need based undergraduate female African students admitted to a University, College, or institute of higher learning in Africa.
As part of the application process for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship, applicants are required to submit short essays on the following;
- In 500 words or less, please write an essay on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW foundation scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals.
- In 300 words or less, please describe what you believe about female education in Africa and its impact on research, development, or advancement in African economies.
- In 500 words or less, what is your proudest achievement to date
- Submit two academic/professional references.
Please Note that recommendation letters and transcripts ARE NOT REQUIRED at the time of application. ONLY after a candidate has been shortlisted. However, you must provide the names of 2 references in your application.
ONLY Shortlisted candidates will be required to send the following additional items to complete this process.
- 2 references; one MUST be written by a professor from your institution of study and the other from an academic supervisor/advisor or mentor to be emailed by your referee to us.
- A copy of a current signed and sealed transcript from your University is to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A copy of the student’s School identity card must be scanned and emailed to us.
NOTE: Please have your essay responses ready before you begin the application.
Method of Application
If eligible for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship, please fill out all fields completely. Please ensure you fill in your CORRECT Email address. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this application is in 4 stages;
1. Personal Information
This form cannot be edited once submitted. Ensure that all information is accurate before you submit it.
Please note that we do not fund graduate (masters, MBA, or Ph.D.) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses, or Diploma degrees. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to these requirements.