The Government of the Czech Republic offers Czech Government scholarships within the framework of its Foreign Development Assistance in support of the study of foreign nationals from developing countries listed below at public institutions of higher education in the Czech Republic.
Granting scholarships to citizens from developing countries listed below for studies at Czech public higher education institutions (referred to as “universities”) is an important part of the foreign development cooperation of the Czech Republic and has a long tradition.
About the Czech Republic
The Czech Republic, also known as Czechia, is a landlocked country in Central Europe. Historically known as Bohemia, it is bordered by Austria to the south, Germany to the west, Poland to the northeast, and Slovakia to the southeast. Area: 30,452 sq mi (78,871 sq km). Population: (2022 est.) 10,535,000. Capital: Prague.
Czechs make up about nine-tenths of the population; Slovaks and Moravians are the largest minorities. Language: Czech (official). Religion: Christianity (predominantly Roman Catholic, also other Christians, Protestant). Currency: koruna.
Czech Government Scholarships Summary
- Host Country: Czech Republic
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Category: Masters Scholarships | Ph.D. Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Monthly Stipend | Accommodation
- Deadline: September 30, 2022
Czech Government scholarships Details:
The Czech Government scholarships are governed by a Resolution of the Government of the Czech Republic No. 77 as of 28th January 2019 as part of a joint foreign development cooperation program pursued by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (https://www.msmt.cz/) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (https://www.mzv.cz/), implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Health (https://www.mzcr.cz/).
These Government Scholarships are designed to cover the standard length of study:
- in Follow-up Master’s study programs plus a one-year-long preparatory course in the Czech language (which is combined with other field-specific training). Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates of Bachelor’s degree programs. They can enroll only in study programs from the selected areas of study in which instruction is given in the Czech language. Depending on the subject area, applicants are normally required to sit entrance examinations at the university concerned. Successful passing of entrance examinations constitutes a precondition for a scholarship award;
- in Follow-up Master’s study programs or Doctoral study programs. Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates from Bachelor’s or Master’s study programs, respectively, who enroll in study programs with instruction in the English language.
The Czech Government scholarship for the academic year 2023/2024 are offered only to the citizens of the following countries:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- and Zambia.
The scholarships are dedicated solely to promoting the studies of foreign nationals from developing third countries. Neither a citizen of the Czech Republic, nor a citizen of the European Union, nor any other foreign national with a permanent residence permit in the territory of the Czech Republic may, therefore, apply for a scholarship.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The scholarship covers the necessary costs related to staying and studying in the Czech Republic. The scholarship amount is regularly amended.
- Currently, the amount paid to students on a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or follow-up Master’s study program stands at CZK 14,000 per month
- Whereas the amount paid to students of a Doctoral study program stands at CZK 15,000 per month.
The above scholarship amounts include an amount designated for the payment of accommodation costs. Costs of accommodation, food, and public transport are covered by scholarship holders from the scholarship under the same conditions that apply to students who are citizens of the Czech Republic. Should health services exceeding standard care be required by the student, s/he shall cover them at his/her own cost.
Method of Application
Each applicant is obliged to fill in an electronic application form at the latest by 30 September 2022. The successful applicant starts studying in the academic year 2023/2024.
Detailed information on the terms and conditions of scholarship awards is provided in the binding “Guidelines for Granting Scholarships of the Government of the Czech Republic”, issued in Czech and English: